Friday, January 24, 2020

You Are What You Read

'I am no indiscriminate novel reader. The mere trash of the common circulating library, I hold in the highest contempt.The novels which I approve are such as display human nature with grandeur- such as show her in the sublimities of intense feeling- such as exhibit the progress of strong passion from the first germ of incipient susceptibility to the utmost energies of reason half-dethroned- where we see the strong spark of woman's captivations elicit such fire in the soul of man that leads him. . . to hazard all, dare all, achieve all, to obtain her. . . and event is plainly anti-prosperous to the high-toned machinations of the prime character, the potent, pervading hero of the story, it leaves us full of generous emotions for him;- our hearts are paralyzed-.'                          - Sir Edward, "Sanditon"           

'If I understand you aright'- said Charlotte- 'our taste in novels is not at all the same.'

The truth was that Sir Edward whom circumstances had confined very much to one spot had read more sentimental novels than agreed with him. . . . With a perversity of judgement, which must be attributed to his not having by nature a very strong head, the graces, the spirit, the sagacity , and the perserverance of the villain of the story outweighed all his absurdities and atrocities with Sir Edward.- It interested and inflamed him. . . . Sir Edward's great object in life was to be seductive.
                      -Jane Austen

Perfectly stated! Choose carefully. . . . 
         -me

1 comment:

  1. My taste in novels? I'm lucky if I can keep up with my book club assignments, what with Facebook and commenting on friends blogs and all!

    ReplyDelete