Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Adventures. . . A Page From NooNoo's Summer Diary

She loves the grit and humidity, the insufferable heat and street theater, and of course the energy, no matter how sticky and sweaty or unbearable it gets. And then there’s the ebullient, complicated hand moves she’s noticed here and there while doing what she does best in the world- looking all around. People seem to swat the air in New York as they converse, which is always, or at least often, and frequently quite loudly. And even though she’s not on solids yet, she’s managed to glean something about the food. The sight of all those big round bagels, the smell of the sidewalk trucks, the jingle of Mr. Softee!!! Pizza, pizza, more pizza!!!! Talk overheard about something called “pastrami” which sounds intensely exotic. These and more await, somewhere up the line, teeth or no teeth. She will not be denied.

And now she’s goin’ back- she cannot believe her incredible luck!

At the moment NooNoo is busy packing for the return trip to the Apple and practicing the word Nootchie, her New York name, giggling at the sound of it now that she is old enough to laugh properly. What should I bring? She’s decided to leave her winter snuggly at home but definitely will be including bloomers and sleeveless tops, perhaps some sneakers for later on- okay, much later on- that perhaps she can leave there for eventually toddling around those mean city streets, when she learns to toddle that is.

Let’s skip the socks for now, especially since I’m not even crawling yet, much less walking, and it can get damned hot over there- bare feet will give me lots of opportunity to exercise some of my new yells, yelps and howls, which go so well with exposed toes anyway. I definitely should take the tutu for one of those inevitable formal Gotham evenings. Maybe I’ll even pick up a small headband there and an “I love NY” a t-shirt. I wonder if they’ll take me to the theater, or come up with some flimsy excuse instead about how I am “not old enough.” Balderdash!  If they don’t take me to the high line this time I will keep them up all night for sure- who can bear to hear a baby cry so pitifully without scooping her up and promising to move mountains??? Is this really too much to ask? Such thoughts continue to fill NooNoo’s head as she ponders what else she can throw into the baby bag. In the end though all she can manage to say to her parents (and anyone else who will listen) about the upcoming adventure is ooh, uh, eeee, ga! Da! Eowww!!!!


Gosh, I wish I had some more real out loud words already, because I just know this trip will be so awesome, swag, cool. . . .    


No comments:

Post a Comment