Friday, June 14, 2013

Foot Fetish

From "I Did It For Mustapha"


Who in their right mind would put up with Sammy’s? Wouldn’t it just be preferable to traverse the ubiquitous dog pooh, predictable dark clumps of discarded chewing gum, random shards of glass and other hygienic terrors of the city pavement while stone-cold barefoot?

This may sound crazy, but in a store like Sammy’s where at least half the metro hordes go for regular shoes, altercations are as common as calluses; nasty little run-ins that could easily benefit from the intervention of law enforcement, or perhaps  the Dalai Lama, especially on weekends. By “regular” incidentally I mean the kind of footwear you can actually walk in, not the type that comes in alarming hues of shiny hot pink and sunburst yellow with three inch extended Italian toes into which no human digit was ever made to squeeze; such inquisition chambers for the metatarsals had to be created for teenagers of all ages hell bent on experimenting with foot ruination; they never were meant to adorn mainstream lower extremities with fallen arches, broken toe nails, the errant corn and a host of other all too human imperfections, some of them quite gross. Real shoes for real people, that’s their motto. . . .

1 comment:

  1. I've been going to Sammys for a long time. It's gotten so popular with the masses that I expect to see a tourist bus outside gorging on snap shots in much the same way as they devour lox and various other specialty items at some of the gourmet food stores in the area.One day in Sammys, I was perusing various kinds of footwear when, no sooner did my hand alight on a pair of Mephistos, that a voice from behind said, "you realy will like those sir". Well for $350 a pair they should fit like butter I thought. "Thanks but Mousa is my salesman" I said to the upstart who had invaded my tranquility.

    When Mephistos first came to Sammys, I thought who would pay all that money for a pair of shoes that weren't all that comfortable. More recently in another outing to this famous shoe emporium which now sells high end raincoats, outerwear, luggage and other items, a pair of wingtips were tagged at $695. Well, this is New York with a good proportion of the so called 1% concentrated in this tiny city state. For me, I'll stick with my Merrils.

    Gil

    ReplyDelete