Friday, February 8, 2013

Valentine Fantasy

From "An Internal Affair"

Can one find true love later in life?

It is said that as we grow older our social circles diminish and our calendars begin to look increasingly empty. What complete balderdash! My dance card, I can assure you, is full on both sides. I have appointments several times a week with various doctors and practitioners of the medical arts. These assignations also require that I dress for the occasion, lest they think I am a naive, ill turned out ignoramus or worse, an uninformed partner in health that they can cavalierly throw on the dung heap of rhesus monkey experimentation, or ply me with maintenance drugs from their pals at Big Pharma while I dumbly acquiesce just to keep the relationship going. Hey, I was not born yesterday, far from it alas . . . . I prepare for these meetings with the utmost care to my clothes, hair and make-up. I aim to exude the sophistication of a mature woman who knows exactly what she wants and is willing to co-pay for it- perhaps not a long term commitment, but definitely companionship. Despite all this, I am still alone.

The problem is that I cannot seem to find the perfect soul mate so to speak, an internist that I can live with, someone who can make my heart skip a beat without calling it arrhythmia. Some may say I may be too picky, but so be it- you only live and age and get sick and die once. I might have to consider going online eventually, an act of pure desperation as I am a traditionalist who believes face-to-face meetings are always best in terms of the “blink” factor. . . .

1 comment:

  1. O god, this is so true: doctors as our social focus. I especially loved the line about finding someone who would make your heart skip a beat without labeling it arrhythmia.

    ReplyDelete